If you want an exciting career in web marketing with the highest degree of freedom and flexibility, why not become a digital marketing freelancer? This comprehensive guide is for beginners or anyone looking to change careers and enter the exciting world of digital marketing…
In this article, you will learn:
- What is a digital marketing freelancer?
- What types of tasks can it perform?
- What are the pros and cons of this job?
Have you decided to become a freelancer in digital marketing? Before you resign and dive into the industry, consider whether this career is the best fit for you, your interests, and your abilities.
Ask yourself the right questions :
- Am I creative enough to develop marketing strategies on various platforms and media?
- How strong are my writing and editing skills?
- Do I enjoy analyzing campaign results and adjusting strategies until I find the right solution?
- How well do I know about SEO? Am I ready to know more?
- Am I tech savvy?
- Do I have an eye for design?
- How good are my community building skills?
What is a digital marketing freelancer?
These questions highlight some of the skills you will need to excel at digital marketing.
This is because unlike other freelance jobs, a marketing professional has to wear many hats as a freelancer. Digital marketing has a number of unique channels and processes, plus you need to have the skills required to deliver a range of services to customers.
A freelancer must have essential qualities to carry out some of the most common activities which include:
- Writing texts for blogs, web pages and social networks;
- Creating and editing videos;
- Website creation and design assistance;
- Creation of advertisements, including texts and visuals;
- Design of visuals such as infographics;
- Lead generation;
- Integration of new customers and management of customer appointments.
- Management of accounts and communities on social networks;
- Organization of webinars or distribution of podcasts;
- Campaign development and marketing strategy for your clients;
- Launching advertising campaigns and managing advertising budgets;
- Running social media campaigns (free and paid)
- Sending emails to your client’s customers;
- Management of the email marketing campaign;
- Optimization of client websites for search engines (SEO);
- Preparation of monthly project reports;
- Issuance of invoices to customers.
What are the advantages of working as a digital marketing freelancer?
- Work the hours you want as long as you meet deadlines;
- You can work with clients anywhere. This gives you access to major markets and large companies outside of the area where you live, potentially allowing you to charge higher rates for your work.
- You can choose the job you want. There are several platforms dedicated to freelancers that connect many digital marketing clients. You choose the type of jobs, industries and companies you would like to work with.
- You can rely on other freelancers as needed for help or expertise. This allows you to learn as you complete projects.
- You can receive payments faster when you use services that provide escrow.
And the disadvantages?
- As you often work alone, you will have to wear all the hats in order to develop your activity;
- The competition is tough. Assuming that you are going to contact clients on dedicated platforms, you will have to stand out among all other freelancers around the world.
- Revenues are unpredictable;
- Work-life balance can be hard to achieve at first. Learn how to maintain a healthy lifestyle on a daily basis;
- There are no benefits. Moreover, things change very quickly in the digital world. You can’t rely on your company to send you to classes or workshops that will help you improve your skills.
Now that you know some of the pros and cons of a career as a freelancer, let’s take a close look at all the key steps to getting started in this next article.
If you need to train yourself in this area, take a look at this training course “Developing your business with web marketing”.